Sunday, March 1, 2015

EDM 310 Blog Post 7

     After watching the videos assigned to us for the following blog post I really found out a ton of valuable and interesting information that I had previously been unaware of.

1. Using iMovie and the Alabama Virtual Library in Kindergarten

     After watching this video I was truly blown away by the information presented first by Mrs. Michelle Bennett.  When she was discussing kindergarten students and their ability to put together book trailers using iMovie I was blown away.  I myself have struggled before using iMovie and then to find out that children from ages five to six are able to use it efficiently, it really was I opening.  I learned from her discussion that younger minds are becoming more and more technologically literate and are more capable than we have thought before. Then when Mrs. Elizabeth Davis commented on students being able to use Alabama Virtual Library in order to do safe research I found this to be even more true.  Not only are students able to learn how to use search engines safely, they are also going at it with a positive work like attitude.  This video showed me that young students are more capable than most think and they are wanting to tackle more advanced work with an eager mind.

2. We All Become Learners

     I learned from this video exactly what the title says and a bit more. Dr. Strange was quoted as saying "We all become learners and we all become teachers." and I found this to be the best way of describing this videos content. From the personal experience of Mrs. Bennett I can say for a fact that one is never at a point in which they cannot learn.  She would be able to find some new information from one of her younger students, she would be able to go along and pass this new information on to other students.  This reminded me of, and I believe they talked about these in the video, personal learning networks.  The idea behind these is that teachers can teach students, students are able to help one another learn the material and that teachers are able to learn something new from students.  I think the idea is that we are all never to old to learn something new and never to young to begin learning new things.

3. iPads In the Classroom

     I was skeptical to begin with when watching the video about iPads in the classroom.  I've always seen this as more of a distraction to student learning than a helpful tool.  Yet after watching this video my opinion has been changed a bit.  The main idea I took from the video was that the iPads created a form of engagement that had been lacking from school.  With the ability to provide one for every student and allow them to learn how to use them proficiently we are helping to develop much more active students.  They will grow up knowing how to use search engines effectively and how to be fluent with other technological devices.  I thought a huge thing is this video was the teacher discussing how her efficiency has increased due to the iPads.  If we are able to create better learners through the usage of iPads, then I for one am not against the idea of implementing them more and more.




4. Top 10 Reasons to Use Technology in Education: iPad, Tablet, Computer, Listening Centers

     I found this video brought some interesting points about technological usage in learning that we have already discussed prior to this assignment. The idea about the ability of technology to remove obstacles however was a fresh new idea.  Often times impairments can hinder students and they may fall behind, but with the ability to change the classroom environment with technology, we are able to prevent this very thing. However what I took most from this video was the quote at the beginning. The quote " Teachers will not be replaced by technology, but teachers who do not use technology will be replaced by those who do." (Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach).  I believe this quote because the educational system is changing, shifting to a more technologically dynamic system and those teachers who are not willing to go with this are going to be replaced by a new wave of teachers.  That is why EDM 310 is so important, it is preparing us so that we are more prepared and can provide more for students.  


     From all these videos I realized that technology is becoming an important part of the educational system.  In order to be able to use technology effectively I am going to have to master much of what is provided in this course.  The whole idea behind this is to create technological skills to transfer into the classroom.  I think that by doing that and having hands on experience with all of this will begin to prepare me more and more for life as an educator.



2 comments:

  1. Great work! I agree with your post a lot of the information shared was very eye opening. I struggle to keep up in this class and to find out that 5 and 6 year old's can work technology better then me is amazing. Maybe I should get a tutor. Overall great post keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete