Sunday, February 15, 2015

EDM 310 Blog Post 5

What are Personal Learning Networks?

     Defined by Dr. Strange on his website (Dr. Strange's PLN Page)  as "people, places, organizations and activities which enable you to learn",  these networks are constantly changing while you are with them.  It is a large collaboration that does not belong to any one person; it is a joint effort.  In order to have it work and make it successful you have to be able to learn from it as much as you contribute to it.  It will change your ways of thinking, but you have to let it. I believe that it is said best when described as " a Personal Learning Network is the replacement for the classroom which no
longer works as it did in an earlier day and time. It is a revolutionary change in education!" (1, Dr. Strange's PLN Page).  They are a new way of educating ourselves by hearing others, who are more well rounded in a given subjects ideas. We can learn new things from people and they can learn new things from us.

How can they help you as a teacher?

     I think that a personal learning network would be a major help as a educator.  Because the world of education is constantly changing thanks to new age technology, for one person to believe they know the best ways to do everything is absurd.  By creating or joining a learning network, I would be able to see what others have done with their skills in order to create a learning environment or how they were able to use technology to help further their students educations.  Having the ability to go and find almost anything through the use of a learning network would be extraordinary.  I think it would help because you would be able to learn so much from people who have more experience in the field than you and they can help you to learn innovative ideas.  I think PLNs are wonderful to all educators looking to expand their borders.

How are they formed?

     The first thing that you have to if you're going to establish a PLN is to find an area that you personally are interested in.  Then you begin to identify sources like "people, places, organizations and activities through which you might learn." (2, Dr. Strange's PLN Page) You have to identify with different sources through social media websites or other things like blog posts. You have to be able to dig beneath the surface and draw information at depth.  You also need to interact with people on these sites in order to bring out even more information.  I think Dr. Strange said it best when he said " You are more detective than student. A LOT more like a detective!".  I think that this quote is perfect in describing the extra effort you must put in when using these networks.

How can you create your own PLN?

     If I were to create my own PLN first I would, as previously stated, have to find my field of interest.  Then I would create profiles on social media in order to follow the exact people who had the knowledge and ideas I was searching for.  Then I would begin to save all these ideas and put them on my social media.  I'd have to constantly update my information and look for new more influential ideas to keep it fresh.  I would also make it to where other people looking for my type of ideas would be able to readily find them throughout post, articles and social media.

Who will be the first addition to your PLN?

     The first people I would add to my PLN would have to depend on what my interest was in.  Considering I would be using this to find more about how to further my ability to educate my students it would have to be other educators.  They would be technologically literate and able to fluently use social media and tools like blog posts to show how they are able to further their students knowledge.  If I added them to my PLN I would have to ability to look at all their methods and the skills they use.  I think they would have to be the first people for me to follow, because I believe they would be the most helpful to me.


http://www.apa.org/Images/carousel-ptcc-network_tcm7-139679.jpg

2 comments:

  1. You did a great job summing up a PLN. I agree that the first people in my PLN would be the educators from EDM 310 and those familiar with it. I do not agree with your statement of "other educators". Not all educators have the knowledge or capabilities to even work a computer! I believe it is critical to be more selective and specific in which educators you choose. I said I would be interested in adding some of the teachers from the C4T blogs because they have been hand selected by Dr. Strange. They obviously have a good standing and background knowledge in their area to be considered important in our course. One suggestion I have for you is to double check that you are using the proper use of singular and plural words together in a sentence. Overall, you did a wonderful job showing how you plan to start your PLN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, detailed post. Always use the correct HTML codes for posting pictures instead of just pasting the URL as a source.

    ReplyDelete